Daily dose of congressional comedy.
Senator blasts Postal Service as 'not friendly' ... but praises the TSA. Maybe he should talk to Sen. Claire McCaskill who tweeted yesterday about her 'very uncomfortable' TSA experience.
Today in my airport screening, test on my hands was positive. Got private, more aggressive pat down. OMG. #veryuncomfortable— Claire McCaskill (@clairecmc) March 11, 2013
The senator, who has complained about the TSA's security techniques in the past, tweeted that she was selected for a pat-down and that the experience was not a pleasant one. "Today in my airport screening, test on my hands was positive," McCaskill wrote to her 89,100 followers. "Got private, more aggressive pat down. OMG. #veryuncomfortable."
"I try to avoid a pat-down at all costs," McCaskill told TSA Administrator John Pistole during a Senate hearing that year. "There are many times women put their hands on me in a way that if it was your daughter or your sister or your wife, you would be upset."
TSA has come under fire for its security procedures from other lawmakers in the past. Sen. Rand Paul was detained by TSA for refusing a pat-down last year.
CARPER: I just want to say that I’ve noticed this year in traveling by airplanes, most of us don’t like going through the security checks at airports. I ride the train most of the time, thankfully. But I’ve noticed the folks at TSA – at first I thought it was my imagination but now I’m not so sure that it is – I’m sensing that a greater friendliness and helpfulness on the part of TSA. (...) But I’ve certainly talked to the guy who runs TSA a lot about this but I think that they are beginning to start a little bit of a culture change, it’s starting to take effect, I hope so.
I just want to say when I walk into a post office for service whether it’s Delaware or any another place. In Delaware for the most part they like me, not everyone does I’m sure, but they’re friendly and so forth – but too often I see the provision of service in post offices that I would not describe as friendly and welcoming. And in some cases, because the folks providing the service behind the counter have so much on them and they’re trying to grapple with big challenges – and I can understand that – I would just ask that we move forward and come through this tough time and hopefully emerge on the other side of the river that we focus more on friendliness, a customer friendliness, not just deliver the stuff door to door – which is important – but also as we go to the post office to drop off our packages or buy stamps or whatever. I would close with that.
The debt-laden United States Post Office announced that it will end Saturday delivery of first-class mail in an attempt to cut costs -- it posted a $16 billion loss in 2012, defaulted on its $11.1 billion retiree health benefit prefunding payments and tapped out its $15 billion lifeline with Treasury.
Rand Paul Reminds The TSA Of The 4th Amendment: "You Guys Are Clueless! Get Rid Of The Random Groping Of Small Children And Seniors!"
Rumsfeld On 9/11 Anniversary: "Defense Cuts Will Lead To More Attacks, Entitlements Are The Reason For Deficit"
Big Sis loves you and wants to keep you safe...
A partial list of our previous TSA stories:
- Congressman Who Created The TSA, Now Wants It Abolished
- TSA Strip Searches 3 Year Old Boy: Video
- Video: TSA Gropes 6-Year-Old Girl
- Baywatch Babe Targeted For Naked Body Scan
- Roxi Copeland - I'll Be Groped For Christmas - TSA Special
- Screw The TSA - Wear 4th Amendment Underwear
- "You Touch My Junk, I'll Have You Arrested"
- Video: George Carlin On Terrorism & Airport Security
- Hillary Clinton On Getting A TSA Patdown: "Not if I could avoid it!"
- TSA Search & Harrass 9 Year-Old Boy And Other Train Passengers AFTER Their Trip
- How Matt Kernan Beat The System By Demanding His Constitutional Rights
- Miss USA Susie Castillo Molested By TSA
- Rep. Paul Broun: TSA Gropes Grandma, Kids, Skips Man
- Physician Parents Threatened By TSA Before 6 Year Old Daughter Was Groped
- Video: Obama Tells Airport Groping Joke; ACLU Fires Back; Jesse Ventura Sues
- Adam Savage From Mythbusters TV: "TSA X-Rayed my junk, but they missed two 12-inch industrial razor blades in my coat"